Re: Device-mapper target driver for Write tracking

Dne 19.10.2016 v 16:20 Daniel Armbruster napsal(a):
On 13:43 Wed 19 Oct     , Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
Dne 19.10.2016 v 12:53 Daniel Armbruster napsal(a):
Hi List,

I'm looking for a device-mapper target driver giving me the possibility to
track/log WRITE requests. The idea is to track those WRITE requests within a
Bitmap e.g. 1:LV-EXTEND (for LVM2). I read already the device-mapper
documentation under

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/device-mapper/

but didn't find an appropriate module which would suite my needs.

Is there any work happening on this to leverage? Any kind of help is
appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do but 2 things to look at:

Maybe  'dmstats' with it's region logic may cover your 'wanted' operation.

The kernel dm target to check would be  'era' which keeps trace
of written blocks.

Regards

Zdenek

Hi Zdenek,

thanks for your help.

I'm trying to implement a synchronization tool which performs backups in an
intelligent way. Since using a snapshot is only partly an option (the snapshot
could fill up and the snapshot_autoextend_* practicality of LVM2 isn't stable
enough under heavy load) I was thinking about the possibility of an additional
device which keeps trace of written blocks. To improve performance I aim at
reducing the data throughput. That's why I was thinking about a Bitmap e.g.
1:LV-EXTEND.

Hi

Old snapshot is OLD - switch to thin-provisioning - that's the real fix for
your problem.

Less nice suggest could be to simply use BIG enough snapshot you can't fulfill before it gets resized - computable from disk write speed.
Clearly you can't win this fight with few MB sized snapshot -
few GB solves it...

I thought already about the DM statistics module. Is there any performance
impact when collecting statistics for a given volume (except of the
additionally allocated memory used)? Is there a possibility to quantify it?

I'm afraid you will need to measure yourself - depends on huge number of settings - but should be still very small compared with rotational drives.

Regards

Zdenek