Re: write directly to device mapper snapshot origin device ?

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dne 15.7.2016 v 14:40 Navin P.S napsal(a):
>
>> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> Can you please paste the snippet ?
>

> 1) a device containing the original mapping table of the source volume;
> 2) a device used as the <COW device>;
> 3) a "snapshot" device, combining #1 and #2, which is the visible snapshot
>    volume;
> 4) the "original" volume (which uses the device number used by the original
>    source volume), whose table is replaced by a "snapshot-origin" mapping
>    from device #1.

1,2,3,4 doesn't say you can't write to snapshot-origin ? Does it ?
If you setup the table with dmsetup -r explicitly it means readonly.

Also if direct writes are not supposed to be done, only merging why
not setup readonly and
then create it in read-write during merging.

--
-- Navin