Re: [4.4, 4.5, 4.6] Regression: encrypted swap (dm-crypt) freezes system while under memory pressure and swapping

On 04/27/2016 02:44 PM, Matthias Dahl wrote:
Hello @all,

since I haven't seen any replies to this so far, is there anything else
I can do to help track this bug down?

I have posted the original message to both the lkml as well as dm-devel
lists, by the way, without much luck. ;-)

Thanks in advance -- and sorry for kind of re-posting the issue.

So long,
Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I observe that putting swap on top of dm-crypt (tested in current 4.6-rc kernel) have some unexpected side effects. Most notably it seems to me that oom killer joins the party quite prematurely even when there remains plenty of free swap space (almost all). But I didn't experience any permanent system freeze or crash. Just, let us dig deeper for a while...

Thank you for the report!

O.