Re: back-ported dm-cache not forwarding read-ahead bios to origin

> Upstream backports to RHEL6 are tricky because it doesn't have
> upstream's latest block changes.  Care must be taken during the
> backport.  I could easily see someone less aware of the pitfalls
> producing a buggy kernel that cause corruption like you've reported.
>
> The last dm-cache backport to RHEL6 was kernel-2.6.32-528.el6.
> That backport sync'd dm-cache changes through upstream Linux 3.19.
>
> I'm not going to put any time to this report.  Your best bet is to
> rebase to the >= 528.el6 kernel and go from there (this translates to
> the forthcoming RHEL6.7 kernel as the first publicly available release
> with the changes in question).

Thanks Mike, had I known that there was a back-port planned for 6.7 I wouldn't
have bothered back-porting it myself... I tried to look for an existing
back-port for CentOS a few months back but didn't find anything. Just to teach
myself a lesson, if I had asked on this list whether a back-port was planned,
would I have gotten a response, or such information could not have been
disclosed?

Because our product is based on CentOS, it might take some time for dm-cache
to become available through CentOS 6.7. So for now I'll have to continue using
my broken version in order to integrate it with our product. Any help
appreciated

--
Thanos Makatos