Re: blk-mq DM changes for 3.20 [was: Re: blk-mq request allocation stalls]

On 01/28/2015 10:44 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
On Wed, Jan 28 2015 at 11:42am -0500,
Jens Axboe <axboe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/27/2015 11:42 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
Hey Jens,

I _think_ we've resolved the issues Bart raised for request-based DM's
support for blk-mq devices (anything remaining seems specific to iSER's
blk-mq support which is in development).  Though Keith did have that one
additional patch for that block scatter gather attribute that we still
need to review closer.

Anyway, I think what we have is a solid start and see no reason to hold
these changes back further.  So I've rebased the 'dm-for-3.20' branch of
linux-dm.git ontop of 3.19-rc6 and reordered the required block changes
to be at the front of the series, see:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git/log/?h=dm-for-3.20

(these changes have been in Linux next for a month, via linux-dm.git
'for-next')

With your OK, I'd be happy to carry the required block changes and
ultimately request Linus pull them for 3.20 (I can backfill your Acks if
you approve).  BUT I also have no problem with you picking up the block
changes to submit via your block tree (I'd just have to rebase ontop of
your 3.20 branch once you pull them in).

I'd prefer to take these prep patches through the block tree.

Great, should I send the patches or can you cherry-pick?

I already cherry picked them, they are in the for-3.20/core branch.

Only one I don't really like is this one:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git/commit/?h=dm-for-3.20&id=23556c2461407495099d1eb20b0de43432dc727d

I prefer keeping the alloc path as lean as possible, normal allocs
always initialize ->bio since they need to associate a bio with it.

Would be very surprised if this initialization were measurable but..

That's what people always say, and then keep piling more crap in...

I could push this initialization into the DM-mpath driver (just after
blk_get_request, like Keith opted for) but that seemed really gross.

It's already doing blk_rq_init() now, so not a huge change and not that nasty.

--
Jens Axboe