Re: Bcache upstreaming

Hey Kent,

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Kent Overstreet <koverstreet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've (finally!) got a bcache branch hacked up that ought to be suitable
to go upstream, possibly in staging initially.

It's currently closer to the dev branch than the stable branch, plus
some additional minor changes to make it all more self contained. The
code has seen a decent amount of testing and I think it's in good shape,
but I'd like it if it could see a bit more testing before I see about
pushing it upstream.

If anyone wants to try it out, checkout the bcache-for-staging branch.
It's against Linux 3.7.

I pulled your 'bcache-for-staging' code into a 'dm-devel-cache-bcache' branch on my github:
https://github.com/snitm/linux

Purpose is to have a single kernel to compare dm-cache and bcache.  My branch is against 3.8-rc2.  While importing your code I needed the following change to get bcache to compile:
https://github.com/snitm/linux/commit/400b1257e93975864fd6c4b827537a0234551253

It now builds without issue but I haven't tested the resulting bcache to know if I broke the sysfs interface due to s/cache/bcache/ on some local variables, I don't think I did but I'll defer to you.  (BTW those crafty sysfs macros you have were pretty opaque; not really seeing what they buy in the grand scheme.  And #include "sysfs.c" is different than any code I've seen in the kernel).