Re: Native systemd service files for multipathd

On 08/22/2011 06:35 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:45, Hannes Reinecke<hare@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
On 08/22/2011 03:47 PM, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
On jeu., 2011-06-30 at 14:10 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

Is anyone taking a look at porting the multipathd legacy sysv init
script to native systemd unit file?

I filed 690828 on 2011-03-25 and yet to receive somekind of response on
it and unless some action is taken then a) device-mapper-multipath will
be blocking the Fedora 16 alpha release or b) be ripped out of @base and
be made sure it does not get installed on the official livecd.

What is the status of this request ? Has anyone stepped-in to the job ?
If not I'll look into it. If you have Fedora-specific systemd
implementation guideline, please point me to the appropriate
documentation.

I have talked with Kay&  Lennart about this.

The main problem here is that we don't / can't know if a device is
multipathed or not; this is basically a policy decision.
Even a simple switch (multipath on/off) wouldn't suffice here, as this
particular device might be excluded via the configuration file.

Idea here is to modify the 'multipath' program to determine if a particular
device is handled by multipath or not. If so, _no other_ configuration must
be done in that device.
The multipathd daemon itself already listens on events from the udev socket;
it should be pretty trivial to convert that to socket activation.

And, of course, we need to solve the mount problem. Last I've heard was that
systemd _won't_ be handling mounting, which in effect means we cannot mount
any systems provided via multipath ...

What is the status here?

It fully support mounts on boot, dynamically created, or on hotplug,
with or without automounter support.

But it will not assemble/handle/know anything about any dm/md devices.

Yeah, but this should taken care of if and when LVM2 and MD gets converted to systemd, right ?

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688