From: "Bryn M. Reeves" <bmr@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Alireza Nematollahi" <alirezan@xxxxxx>
Cc: "device-mapper development" <dm-devel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:50:45 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: Stopped disk causes LVM to go crazy

Alireza Nematollahi wrote:
> hi. Thanks for your reply. Well, I had tried that before, but no luck. I tried it again, and still no luck:

You have to do it *BEFORE* you disable/remove the storage. Doing it
afterwards will just throw all the errors you are seeing since the LVM
tools can no longer access the device.

You have to do things in the correct order; first unmount any file
systems, then de-activate LVs/VGs, then stop or remove the storage
hardware.

If you do this in the wrong order you'll end up with the problems
you're seeing.

For now, you can clean up /dev/sdb by deleting it via sysfs:

echo 1 > /sys/block/sdb/device/delete

Which will stop other commands that scan the disks from tripping over
the dead device. You can also manually delete any remaining device
mapper devices that reference the removed disk (see similar thread
yesterday).

Regards,
Bryn.