Re: Does dm handle tape devices?

lemons_terry@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi

Thanks for the reply.  I have a customer who runs three tape-aware
applications in one Linux system.  Two of those applications use device
files (ex., dev/nst0) to access the tape devices, so the persistent
udev-created symbolic links in /dev/tape/by-id and /dev/generic/by-id
will work fine for those applications.

A third application, alas, uses SCSI IDs to refer to the tape devices.
I've been instructed to seek a persistent naming solution for this
application, too, one that (hopefully) won't require modification of the
application.  I started out looking at the QLogic FC HBA's persistence
capability, and saw that it functions at the target level within a
single HBA.  But I found that some vendors don't support this method of
persistence, opting instead to use device mapper.

Hope this is clear.

Device mapper has nothing at all to do with persistent device names. Device mapper is a kernel device driver that creates virtual block devices with interesting mappings to underlying block devices, such as raid. Device naming is handled by udev.