SLES9 DM-Multipath strange behaviour

... or maybe it isn't that strange, and it's just a feature.

Until recently, we using a single 200GB SAN volume with our heartbeat
cluster. The SAN ist a (yuck) Datacor SANsymphony Windows-based crap, but
so be it. Everything was working fine. Multipath just rocked. The volume is
seen twice, and dm-0 was nicely created.

Later, a second 50GB volume was added from the same SAN controller -
everything worked OK.

After that, 3 TB sized volumes were added from a Nexsan controller. These
were handled fine but the first 2 Datacor volumes were gone, i.e. no dm-X
was created! Identical behaviour on both machines in the cluster. No
changes whatsoever in any config file compared to the original setup
(single volume).

Analysis revealed that the /dev/sdX block devices were still present (sdb -
sde, respectively) but all 4 devices had the same UUID! As soon as I
removed one of the volumes, the remaining volume worked just fine. We even
assigned the second volume to a different controller port, thus forcing a
different WWN for the volume, but the UUID (scsi_id -gus <device>) remained
the same.

What can be wrong here?

I assume dm-multipath refuses to work with what looks like the same device
(by UUID) but 2 different sizes.

But why is the same UUID calculated (how?) for 2 apparently different
volumes?

Strangely, another HB cluster with 3 Datacor SAN volumes has no such
problems.

Appreciate any help :-) TIA!

--
Fortune's Law of the Week (this week, from Kentucky):
	No female shall appear in a bathing suit at any airport in this