Re: New disk under /dev/mapper control??

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 04:29:26PM -0500, Paul Tader wrote:
I've added a new, single IDE disk to a system.  I've run though fdisk,
It does not look "new" to me...

mkfs and then attempted a mount command but mount failed with "already
mounted or /mnt/ busy".  I see that now device-mapper is "claiming" this
disk and newly created partitions and doesn't allow me to mount the
partitions by addressing the /dev/hdb1 device file. In other words,
/dev/mapper files are being automatically created only for this (new)
disk.  Is there a way to have device-mapper relinquish control of this
disk?
it is not device mapper, but dmraid
i believe your ide disk was 'touched' by a promise fakeraid controller.
your init scripts probably call dmraid during boot and finding a promise
fakeraid metadata on the disk dmraid activates it.

I've tried removing and clearing the devices with dmsetup, all to no avail.
you could try removing the fakeraid metadata with dmraid -E.
if the promise fakeraid adapter is installed in your PC you might have
to disable fakeraid in the bios first.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx