Re: dm-snapshot scalability - chained delta snapshots approach

Haripriya S wrote:
Approach 1 - Chained delta snapshots

Advantages:
1. Very simple, adds very few lines of code to existing dm-snap code.

Nice.

2. Does not change the dm-snapshot architecture, and no changes
required in LVM or EVMS

Nice.

3. Since the COW copies due to origin write will always go to the most
recent snapshot, snapshot COW devices can be created with less size.
Whenever the COW allocation increase beyond say 90%, a new snapshot can
be created which will take all the subsequent COW copies. This may avoid
making COW devices invalid.

Nice !!!!!

Disadvantages:
1. snapshots which were independent previously are now dependent on
each other. Corruption of one COW device will affect the other snapshots
as well.

Fixing dm-snapshot so devices do not get corrupted would make
dm-snapshot immensely more useful.
One way of doing that is to provoke bugs to more quickly become
visible to the user.  I think your patch might accomplish this.
Another way is to keep the code simple.  I'd say your patch does that.

(A third way is extensive testing, and a fourth is mathematically
proving that the code is sane.  But who has the time and energy ;-).)

Overall, what you're doing looks like a good thing for stability.

2. Will have a small impact in snapshot read performance,
currently (if I understood right)

Minor disadvantage compared to the massive improvements seen in write speed.
Can be optimized on later.

(Fx. caching a list of which exceptions exist other places in the chain..)

3. There is a need to change the disk exception structure

Hopefully there's a version number on disk which allows incompatible
tools to skip lv's or whatever.

If not, this is a great excuse to create one.

4. When snapshots are deleted the COW exceptions have to be transferred
to the next snapshot in the write chain.

Jan Blunck wrote:
This means that every snapshot still has its own exception store.
This would make deletion of snapshots unnecessary complex.

Complex, how?

Necessary operations (in order listed):
* Acquire exclusive lock on this snapshot.
* Check that next snapshot has room for exceptions, abort if not.
* Acquire exclusive lock on next snapshot.
* Move all exceptions to next snapshot.
* Unlock next snapshot.
* Remove this snapshot.
* Done...

Sounds simple to me, but maybe I'm missing the point.

It moves the work (copying of chunks)
to the deletion of the snapshot.

Snapshot deletion is usually a "low privilege" task, something done
to redeem disk space on a periodic schedule.  It is not something a
user absolutely needs to finish immediately.  Sounds like a very
fair deal to me, but then again, I'm just a user.

We discussed some of the ideas about snapshots here at the dm summit. The
general ideas are as follows:

- one exception store per origin device that is shared by all snapshots

Now that sounds complex.

Although that includes a complete redesign of the exception store code.

Especially when you say stuff like that :-).

The throughput issues should be addressed by only
writing to one exception store.

Wouldn't this make debugging more complex, and further add to
the difficulty of snapshot resizing?