Re: [dm-devel] [RFC] DM_TARGET_CTL: ioctl interface

Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:55:23PM +0100, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:00:19PM -0700, Mike Christie wrote:

Is there any way
I could pass in such a thing when my target is created, so that way dm multipath
would not have any type of command format functions/modules or definitions
(it could just be passed in and built like the sg io code).

We've been talking about a new dm ioctl for passing arbitrary commands to a target, which I think would cover this.

dm-ioctl.h:
  #define DM_TARGET_CTL	 _IOWR(DM_IOCTL, DM_TARGET_CTL_CMD, struct dm_ioctl)

  struct dm_target_ctl {
	uint64_t sector;	/* Device sector */
	/* Might add size of command string if it simplifies processing */

	char command[0];
  };

Is there any legitimate need to supply a list of dm_target_ctl structs
instead of just one-at-once?

I do not have one.

Is there any need to allow a string of data to be returned in addition
to the error code?  [i.e. Are status/table commands sufficient? ]

I also do not have one....

But Christophe V. really does all the userspace stuff, so he would know best.

Alasdair

--
Mike Christie
mikenc@xxxxxxxxxx