Re: reg: Question on LUKS device's content exposure

On 16 Oct 2021 22:15 +0200, from arno@xxxxxxxxxxx (Arno Wagner):
> As to the idea with a dedicated, alerted rack, I know of real-world
> installations that do exectly that. This will fail with a competent
> attacker as well though, as physical locks and tamper-detection
> switches are not that secure as well.

Agreed; which is why I specifically said that it'll make the attack
more difficult but not impossible.

As with pretty much anything else security-related, it's really only a
matter of how much money and effort the attacker is willing to throw
at the problem, and how much money and effort the defender is willing
to throw at the problem of discouraging the attacker.

But the simple fact is that inside a VM, the defender is _always_
going to be at a serious disadvantage against an attacker who has
access to the hypervisor (whether legitimately or not). That's just a
consequence of how the technology works.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”