Re: Reading the passphrase from a key-file

On 14/05/2021 13:51, Volker Dormeyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I have another question regading the key-file option. I am
> scripting something where the passphare is given by STDIN, with the
> following options:
>
> cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sde hdd --header header.img --key-file -
>
> If I enter this line on a command line it prompts me with "Enter
> passphrase for /dev/sde", I was suspecting nothing. How can I make sure
> that the passphrase is being read form STDIN?

Cryptsetup checks if there is input from a real terminal (then displays this message)
or from a pipe. echo pwd | cryptsetup ... works.

But if the input is a binary file, it will stop on the first EOL (then you must use --keyfile-size).
Please read "NOTES ON PASSPHRASE PROCESSING FOR LUKS" in the man page.

Milan