Re: Kdump with full-disk LUKS encryption

Hi,

Thanks a lot, these info are very helpful.
Better to keep it for debugging for now, and ask users to use it very carefully.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 3:54 PM Milan Broz <gmazyland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>    (measured on the host where the device was formatted)
>  - required amount of memory is visible in LUKS2 metadata (luksDump)
>    for the particular keyslot  (Memory: the value is in kB)
>  - we use benchmark to calculate memory cost with prefered unlocking
>    time 2 seconds (again, on the device where LUKS was formatted)
>    Small systems (like RPi2) the uses much smaller acceptable values.
>   You can configure all costs (time, memory, threads) during format
>   or even set them to predefined values.
>
> I am sorry, but there is really no way around this - and the requeired
> memory must be physical memory (otherwise it slows down extremely).
> This is a feature, not a bug :-)
>

> > To fix these problems, I tried to pass the master key to the second
> > kernel directly via initramfs. Kdump will modify the initramfs in
> > ramfs to include the key, kexec_load it, and never write to any actual
> > back storage. This worked with old LUKS configurations.
>
> Well, passing volume key this way is quite insecure, but perhaps
> acceptable for debugging.
>

> > But LUKS2/cryptsetup now stores the key in the kernel keyring by
> > default. The key is accessible from userspace.
>
> If you are talking about volume key (not passsphrase), it is not
> available from userspace. Only reference to it. But you can use
> this reference to construct in-kernel dm-crypt device.
> Please read https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/-/blob/master/docs/Keyring.txt
>
> > Users can enter the password to start kdump manually and then it will
> > work, but usually people expect kdump service to start automatically.
> >
> > (WIP patch series:
> > https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/kexec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/RTYJEQ4BV25JYVYJHTTPOK476FUEJOWW/)
> >
> > I've several ideas about how to improve it but not sure which one is
> > better, and if this is a good idea after all:
> > 1. Simply introduce a config to let systemd-cryptsetup disable kernel
> > keyring on setup, there is currently no such option.
>
> Well, that option could be useful anyway and we have support for it
> in cryptsetup (--disable-keyring CLI option) and libcryptsetup, so why not.
> Just this should not be a default option.
>
> This is should be patch for systemd-cryptsetup only as libcryptsetup supports it.

> > 2. If we can let the key stay in userspace for a little longer, eg.
> > for systems booted with dracut/systemd, when
> > systemd-cryptsetup@%s.service opens the crypt device, keep the key in
> > dm-crypt. And later when services like kdump have finished loading,
> > cryptsetup can refresh the device and store the key in the kernel
> > keyring again.
>
> We invalidate volume key in keyring after libceyposetup  operation
> is finished (and kernel removes the reference once keyring garbage collection
> is run).
>
> I can imagine to add some option to keep key inside keyring even after
> call is finished, but as said above, this removes some security margin

I agree with your comments, thanks! These two approaches seem not a
good idea now.

> Milan

How about plan 3 and 4?

> 3. Let kdump use some custom helper/service to load all needed
> resources in the early initrd boot stage, prior to
> systemd-cryptsetup@%s.service. It will ask the password / parse the
> keyfile and load kdump, then provide info for systemd-cryptsetup or
> just do the setup. Or maybe let systemd-cryptsetup support some kind
> of "plugins" so other tools can use it.

Some details could be changed/improved, but
systemd-cryptsetup@%s.service will prompt for a password or use a
keyfile anyway.
So I think at this point, loading kdump with the volume key should be
safe? At least long as the kdump kernel/environment itself isn't
compromised. Loaded kdump resources can be restricted to be only
accessible from the kernel side.
After panic, kernel kexec jumps to kdump kernel, and that's an
minimized emergency environment that only lives for a very short
period.

> 4. A better and safer solution seems to keep a consistent key ring
> between kexec boots but also more complex and difficult as different
> arch implements kexec differently.

Maybe plan 4 will be a good idea if doable? Since that keeps the key
consistent in the kernel between kexec boots, and cryptsetup can just
reuse it.

--
Best Regards,
Kairui Song