Re: Is crypttab secure to automount a partition?

That's very cool. But I get the impression from your response that there is no way to automount securely? E.g. at least one password entry is always required.

Christopher de Vidal

Would you consider yourself a good person? Have you ever taken the 'Good Person' test? It's a fascinating five minute quiz. Google it.

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 7:54 PM Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/03/2021 17.43, Christopher de Vidal wrote:
> I am a newbie with this so go gentle please :-) I want to automagically
> mount a partition at boot. Is it secure to use the crypttab key field? I
> assume I would have to store the passphrase plain texting the file
> specified in the key field, and since as I understand it the point of
> partition encryption is to prevent a malicious local user with physical
> access from reading the files, if the user can read the file specified
> in the key field, wouldn't they then be able to decrypt the partition?
> Seems to me like leaving the front door key under the doormat, but maybe
> I'm just ignorant how it works. Please educate this newbie.

Suppose you have several encrypted partitions. One of them would be
opened normally, with a password. It would contain a file, which would
be the key to automatically open the other two partitions (which can
also be opened manually with their password).

It is a trick to opening several partitions on boot with entering only
one password.

/etc/crypttab:

cr_home      /dev/disk/by-id/ata-something-part5  \
     none  timeout=300,discard

cr_data1    /dev/disk/by-partlabel/data_1_raw     \
       /home/things/Keys/the_data_keyfile   auto

fstab:

/dev/mapper/cr_home    /home  xfs  lazytime,exec,nofail   1  2
/dev/mapper/cr_data1   /data/data_1  xfs  user,lazytime,exec,nofail
   1  2

The keyfile has to be created once (4 KiB random data, for example) and
added to the crypt:

cryptsetup luksAddKey /dev/sdc1 /home/things/Keys/the_data_keyfile

cryptsetup luksOpen --key-file=/home/things/Keys/the_data_keyfile \
      /dev/sdc1 cr_cripta

There may be other uses, but that's the one I have.

You could have the keyfile stored in an USB stick. To open the partition
you would have to connect the USB stick first. A better procedure would
be that the system would also require a passphrase to proceed, but I
don't know how to achieve that (the mantra is one thing you have, one
thing you know. Two factors).

--
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.