Re: How to attached a detached header?

Hi Milan,

thank you for your explanation. See, my comments below.

On 2/17/21 8:09 PM, Milan Broz wrote:

On 17/02/2021 19:12, Volker Dormeyer wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question. I have a detached header for a drive I created years
ago, where I lost the password for. So, I plan to find the password with
a brute-force attack. For this I have to attached the header again. I
thought, this would result in problems - and it did. I build for testing
purposes the whole situation in a VM. It seems I have to align the data
offset somehow.
Why do you want to attach it to device for brute-force check?
Header should be enough to run it.

Hashcat for example requires a bit more then simply the header. If you are interrested, you can read it here:

https://hashcat.net/forum/thread-6225.html

I proof it, it does not work by feeding it with the header file alone.

You can use cryptsetup for it:

cryptsetup luksHeaderRestore <data device> --header-backup-file <luks header>

Or did I miss anything here?

It does work in my VM. I never thougth it would be that simple. That is the base to start my real brute-force work.

Thank You,
Volker