---
Felix Rubio
"Don't believe what you're told. Double check."

On 2021-01-06 11:47, Arno Wagner wrote:
Hi Felix,

I assume we are talking LUKS here, plain mode is different.

The longer length is both convenience and helps if you
use low-entropy input. The keyfile does not actually
hold a key (LUKS mode), but a passphrase. Passphrases
get hashed, and once you have maximum entropy, you
cannot get more. I would need to look up what length
is actually used, but it does not depend on the lenght
of the encryption key. That one is stored in the anti-forensic
stripes, protected with the hash from that passphrase.

So, to make this short, if you use LUKS with a keyfile,
putting in more entropy than used is meaningless.
If your random data is from /dev/random or (properly
initialized) /dev/urandom, 64 bytes are more than enough.

Also, the differences between an 8kB passphrase and a
64B one in execution time should not be noticeable at all.
Unless you read it from floppy disk ;-)

Regards,
Arno