Re: Do you accept contributions to manpage via patch?

Am 22. Oktober 2020 10:36:07 MESZ schrieb Milan Broz <gmazyland@xxxxxxxxx>:
>On 20/10/2020 21:53, Jörg Kastning wrote:
[...]
>But I have some notes before I can merge this.
>
>- the example section - one example how to use --type is perhaps ok,
>but definitely
>normal user should never use this option. I will remove it from example
>2 and 3.

That's OK for me.

>- example 5 needs a strong warning, this command make the LUKS device
>unusable.
>(but still detected as LUKS block device). It is really meant only for
>data destruction
>by removing all volume keys slots from header.

Would you like to add the warning? If you like I can add it an resubmit the patch again.

>- please, is really your name in the man page necessary?
>There are a lot of contributors not mentioned there.
>This is quite trivial change and we track authors of such small changes
>through git
>commits only (I will reformat it so you are the patch author in git; or
>you can use
>use git format-patch)
>
>But in general, yes, we are missing the examples section there...
>strange :)

It's not necessary to mention my name in the manpage. I put it there because I didn't find any contribution guidelines and didn't know where else to put it. If you Set it as commit author I'm fine with it.

Regards,
Joerg

>*** 1490,1495 ****
>--- 1490,1514 ----
>   .TP
>   .B "\-\-help, \-?"
>   Show help text and default parameters.
>+ .SH EXAMPLE
>+ .TP
>+ Example 1: Create LUKS 2 container on block device /dev/sdX.
>+ sudo cryptsetup --type luks2 luksFormat /dev/sdX
>+ .TP
>+ Example 2: Add an additional passphrase to key slot 5.
>+ sudo cryptsetup --type luks2 luksAddKey --key-slot 5 /dev/sdX
>+ .TP
>+ Example 3: Create LUKS header backup and save it to file.
>+ sudo cryptsetup --type luks2 luksHeaderBackup /dev/sdX
>--header-backup-file /var/tmp/NameOfBackupFile
>+ .TP
>+ Example 4: Open LUKS contaner on /dev/sdX and map it to sdX_crypt.
>+ sudo cryptsetup open /dev/sdX sdX_crypt
>+ .TP
>+ Example 5: Erase all key slots on /dev/sdX.
>+ sudo cryptsetup erase /dev/sdX
>+ .TP
>+ Example 6: Restore LUKS header from backup file.
>+ sudo cryptsetup luksHeaderRestore /dev/sdX --header-backup-file
>/var/tmp/NameOfBackupFile
>   .SH RETURN CODES
>   Cryptsetup returns 0 on success and a non-zero value on error.
>
>***************
>*** 1710,1715 ****
>--- 1729,1736 ----
>   Man page extensions by Milan Broz <gmazyland@xxxxxxxxx>.
>   .br
>   Man page rewrite and extension by Arno Wagner <arno@xxxxxxxxxxx>.
>+ .br
>+ Add Examples and minor rewrite by Joerg Kastning
><jkastning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
>   .SH COPYRIGHT
>   Copyright \(co 2004 Jana Saout
>   .br

E-Mail: joerg.kastning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JoergKastning
Internet: https://www.my-it-brain.de
Threema-ID: K2Y6W49N
OpenPGP-ID: 7A302E30
OpenPGP-Fingerabdruck:
2026 DF56 89B6 F79A E776 B15B 55E2 83FB 7A30 2E30