Re: Cryptsetup FAQ is confusing re: key-file length and newlines

Hi John,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 22:49:09 CEST, John Wiersba wrote:
>    The FAQ as of today (2020/7/15) states
>
>    Make sure no trailing newline (0x0a) is contained in the input key
>    file, or the passphrase will not work because the whole file is used as
>    input.
>
>    But then a few lines later it suggests
>
>    head -c 256 /dev/random > keyfile
>
>    Obviously if /dev/random is used, it's possible that the keyfile will
>    end with a trailing newline.
>    I think you're trying to distinguish between
>     1. A file which contains a human-readable passphrase which could also
>        be entered interactively, and
>     2. A file which contains random bytes.

You are overthinking this, I think.

If you create the keyfile via a text-editor, make sure you have no
trailing newling (unless you _want_ that traling newline to be part
of the passphrase). Many UNIX editors add that trailing newline
when saving a file automatically and then you have a character in
there you do not see but which is part of the passphrase.
This comment just simplifies debugging the problem.

If you create a new random keyfile, whatever bytes are in
there are fine. A random keyfile will contain (almost certainly ;-)
a lot of characters you cannot enter interactively anyways,
hence this does not have "interactive entry" as use-case.

[...]

>    Additionally, I see lots of guidance on the length of a keyfile which
>    uses magic numbers, both on the internet and also in the FAQ.  Examples
>    are the value 256 above, and the parameters bs=512 count=8 for dd.  If
>    I understand the FAQ correctly, the actual advice is
>
>    Plain dm-crypt: Use > 80 bit.  ...  If paranoid, add at least 20 bit.
>
>    This implies (taking the worst case) that
>
>    head -c 13 /dev/random
>
>    should be sufficient (13 * 8 bytes = 104 bits > 81+20 bits), and 256
>    bytes is "overkill".  I do understand that some reasonable amount of
>    overkill is essentially "free" and therefore can be used "just in
>    case".

Yes. When it costs you nothing, use more. When it costs you something,
what you quoted gives you a generally reasonable trade-off.
Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----