Re: Help request

On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 22:58:14 CEST, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2020 03:36 +0000, from lacedaemonius1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (lacedaemonius):
[...]
> > I don't think it's a drive failure because it's only a few months
> > old and I haven't got any SMART warnings, so that leaves software.
>
> Unfortunately, drives can fail without reporting failures in SMART
> data, and they can fail early. While the probability of either is
> _lower_, it is non-zero.

There are some numbers from IBM that say that drives fail about 50%
of the time without a failed SMART status. These are old numbers,
not sure how much they apply these days.It alsois a good idea to
mionitor SMART attributes directly and not only check for a failed
status.

One thing to do is to run a long SMART selftest (basically a more
sophisticated variant of scanning the surface yourself). It does
read the whole surface to check for read errors:

 smartctl -t long <drive>

Depending on drive size, this can take a long time. It also makes
sense to look at the SMART attributes manually, a drive will
get a failed SMART status only when things are really bad.
But you often can see what is going on anyways.
This gives you the attributes:

 smartctl -a <drive>

Post the results here if you are unsure how to interpret them.

[...]

> The fact that the LUKS container was not closed _should_ not cause any
> issues after a reboot, because closing the container really just
> removes bookkeeping information and cryptographic keys from kernel
> memory; it doesn't affect on-disk data.

In fact, LUKS data never gets written in normal operation. Hence
it is not actually "opened" as far as the on-disk status is concerned.

> > Is it worth making any attempt at trying to recover the drive and if
> > so is there any documentation that explains what to do? I don't have
> > a backup of the LUKS header, if that's the problem.
>
> Do you have a recent backup of the data on the drive, or does the
> drive that is giving you problems hold the only copy? Is it data that
> you care a lot about, or can it be easily restored from other sources?
> (This basically boils down to: how important is it to rescue the data
> in-place?)

If this is broken hardware in the drive (and it looks like it), this
will be something you likely cannot do yourself and it will be really
expensive. It will also fail unless a valid keyslot gets recovered
fully. It may be a broken controller or even some other hardware
damage on the system you are trying to read the disk, so it may be
worthwhile trying to read it somewhere else.

The detailed SMART status should tell more though.

Regards,
Arno
--
Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx