Re: bug in cryptsetup --header option when using luksFormat?

Hi Ondrej,

On 2020-06-15 17:33, Ondrej Kozina wrote:
Assume you're trying to achieve detached LUKS2 header 16 MiBs in size
(default LUKS2 header size) with data offset starting on different data
device at offset X. Am I right?

Yes, that is correct - I tried it with a detached header and a
containerfile first on the same device because that way I could just use
a temp folder instead of messing with /dev/sdX while testing. But the
end aim was to create a LUKS container with a detached header on an
external hard drive which never gets to see the header.

Nevertheless you have found some issues (more on that later).

Well - that was an interesting read - it was really not clear to me that
the header size could be expanded to gigabytes (by default) to increase
the difficulty to extract it by analysis (that is how I think it is
intended?).

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation - I think it might be
worth to add a description / example for that scenario to the manpage /
--help output: The reason I never thought about messing with the header
size was because I didn't realize it was auto-growing.

My initial thought was that this would also explain the long write
operation with my workaround & the --align-payload - but if, in the
process, you were able to find another bug... all the better ;)

I would help you with a bug report, but I am preparing for a move to
another country (hence the need for an encrypted external drive) and
need to arrange stuff still - no time for a bugreport right now... If I
get around to it later, I'll do it.

Cheers & thanks for the good software :)

  /aral