Re: cryptsetup gui

On Fri, May 01, 2020 at 18:08:28 CEST, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 1 May 2020 15:44 +0200, from grumpy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > i don't know what i have screwed up
> > i have an encrypted root fs
> > while the system is still running the initial ramdisk it launches a cryptsetup gui
> > it ask for the password and then presents 3 square dots
> > this obscures the rest of the boot process
> > can someone tell me how to disable this
> > i don't know if this is part of dm-crypt or not
>
> That doesn't sound to me like anything that's part of cryptsetup, LUKS
> or dm-crypt.
>
> It's more likely to be a distribution front-end to the tools that
> unlock the LUKS container.
>
> I'd recommend that you look to see if this is a known issue with your
> distribution and distribution version; if not, consider filing a bug
> report with the distribution vendor.

I second that. Cryptsetup has no gui and it does not do encrypted
root. You can do encrypted root with cryptsetup in an initrd
and your distro seems to do that.

If you want to change this process, you likely have to modify
the initrd created or delivered by your distro. The cryptsetup
FAQ has some help there in Section 9, but do not expect a detailed
guide:

 https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/-/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#9-the-initrd-question

Regards,
Arno