LUKS header and token

Hello all,
  I am researching the LUKS2 format for a project I am working on. After reading the LUKS2 spec and searching for information on the token feature using the JSON header sections I still have lots of questions.  In this post Milan mentions that he wants to write an article on the token feature
https://marc.info/?l=dm-crypt&m=157235464607551&w=2

It's not that long ago and I'm assuming the article is not done.  Is there any other place I can look for examples and info on the token feature?

To get started, I need to make sure that I understand the LUKS header.  It's stored in the clear?  Both binary and json data?  It is metadata that includes keyslots that are encrypted data but the header itself is not encrypted.

The json sections can store arbitrary data that allows processes to use the LUKS header to implement other features such as working with smart cards?  That's what I understand from the docs I have read so far.

Am I correct or did I misunderstand something?

Thank you,
JT