Re: Bug in cryptsetup 2.3.0 (BitLocker key-file support)

Hi Milan,

Actually there will be no debug output as I found the problem (lying between the chair and the computer), thanks to your help.
See below for the explanation.

Le 19/02/2020 à 20:30, Milan Broz a écrit :> Hi,

> On 19/02/2020 17:05, Quentin Lefebvre wrote:
>> Dear cryptsetup maintainer,
>>
>> I discovered a functional bug in the recently added BitLocker support
>> (thanks by the way!)
>> Not sure whether it is the place to report it...
>
> The best is to report issue here
>    https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/issues
> but this list works as well.

Ok, it may be useful another day.

>> containing its password (fails with error -2).
>>
>> Command failing:
>>
>> cryptsetup open --type bitlk --key-file <my_password_file>
>> /dev/<bitlocker_device> bitlocker_mapping
>>
>> It is very easy to reproduce, so I don't copy paste the --debug output.
>
> The debug output provides information of all subsystem versions,
> this could be important. This is why I require it on all reports.

That's fair ;-)

>> I digged in the source code and found the problem in
>> src/cryptsetup.c:543-545, where opt_keyfile_size is used when calling
>> tools_get_key().
>
> And default is 0, so the full keyfile is read (limited by maximal keyfile size).
> So it should work...
>
>> The workaround is actually to provide the exact password size on the
>> command line, e.g.:
>>
>> cryptsetup open --type bitlk --keyfile-size 55 --key-file
>> <my_recovery_password_file> /dev/<bitlocker_device> bitlocker_mapping
>
> Hm, so what is the on-disk keyfile size here? In cryptsetup, the whole
> keyfile is read, unless you limit it (as in your workaround).

The on-disk keyfile was the printed recovery passphrase provided by Windows...

> So what is the exact content of your keyfile? Is there additional EOL,
> or it had some more characters there?

ls -l <my_recovery_password_file>
showed a 56 bytes file and

hexdump -C <my_recovery_password_file>
showed a trailing '\x0a' character added by my favorite editor.

Removing it with dd(!) solved my problem...

Sorry for the useless message (I should have triple-checked) and thanks again for the new feature.

Regards,
Quentin