Re: Expanding a LUKS partition to a second drive.

Hi James,

to be safe, you need to do this with a full backup of the data
in the LUKS container anyways.
Hence easisest is probably

backup->make new partition->restore.

The LUKS container itself has no size information, it will
fill the new parition. For the filesystem, you need to either
backup the LUKS container as ibinary mage and extend the
filesystem in it after restore, or backup on file-level and
create a new LUKS container and filesystem in it.

Luks does nto care whther the partition is native or LVM
(or NBD, or whatever).

Regards,
Arno

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 20:21:55 CET, James Dehnert wrote:
>    Greetings dm-crypt group,
>    I have a situation where I have an existing LUKS encrypted partition
>    (root) and the user wants to expand that partition onto a second drive.
>    The existing partition was created at configuration as part of the
>    Ubuntu preseed setup.
>    I know how to do this with LVM, but I'm not sure if this can be done
>    without backing up all the data, and then rebuilding the system from
>    scratch.
>    I'm not sure where the LUKS volume is created in respect to LVM.  I
>    can't tell if its created directly on the physical volume, on the
>    volume group, or on the logical volume, so I'm noy sure where I should
>    be looking to expand the substrate.  Or if this is even possible.
>    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, even if its just "It can't
>    be done".
>
>    Thanks,
    James "Zeke" Dehnert

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx