Re: How to compress LUKS2 header?

On 27 Dec 2019 10:56 -0500, from gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxx (ken):
> Compressing a file is one step in the encryption of that file.  So if
> your LUKS2 header file is encrypted, it's also already compressed.
> Using ZIP on it would yield no further compression.

No, encryption does not imply compression. Rather, trying to compress
ciphertext is a largely pointless exercise if the encryption is any
good in the first place; therefore, _if_ you're going to compress the
data you're encrypting (keeping in mind that doing so is not always a
good idea; see compression oracle attacks), then you need to compress
first, then encrypt, not the other way around.

I'm pretty sure the LUKS header backup isn't compressed.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”