Re: detached LUKS header size

On 23/11/2019 09.48, Milan Broz wrote:

> AF is mandatory and must be there, but you can allocate only absolute
> minimum
> for the LUKS2 whole header (for example only area for 1 keyslot), if you
> do not need other features.

Hi Milan,

if I decide to use luks1 format for my detached header, what size do I
need to allocate for the header file ?

>From the FAQ on gitlab, it would seem luks1 needs 2MB header file
(Payload offset * 512), but when I use the "luksHeaderBackup" command on
an existing standard luks1 partition:

 cryptsetup luksHeaderBackup /dev/sde1 --header-backup-file sde1.header

it actually creates a file of size 1,052,672 bytes

Is this the complete luks header ?

If I want to minimize the size of LUKS header, without changing any
default settings, can I use a  1,052,672 bytes file for my luks1 header?

thank you,