Re: problem with cryptsetup 2.21 - compiled OK but now getting version error

On 28/09/2019 05:41, John Williamson wrote:
> I have used dmcrypt and cryptsetup for about 15years on desktops and
> thinkpad laptops without too much trouble as long as I spent time going
> through the online guides. I am replacing my Thinkpad X301 which had a
> 128gb ssd but was upgraded to a samsung ssd evo 500 and on both these
> drives cryptsetup worked perfectly to encrypt the drive.
>
> I now have a Thinkpad X1 carbon with a 1Tb drive which has an IBM
> SSDPEKKF010T8L. I have installed Mint 19.2 running kernel 4.15
> providing cryptsetup 2.0.2. When using this to try and create a Luks
> header, the operation fails with the message that there is no logical
> drive and code 4. having puzzled over this for some time, I realise
> that there is a newer version of cryptsetup. Newer versions of the
> kernel beyond 5.0 disable the trackpad and do not provide a new version
> of cryptsetup so I am now on kernel 4.18 and have managed to
> successfully compile cryptsetup 2.21 and remove the binary versions
> provided by MINT, however now if I check the version I get the
> following error message
>
> "sudo cryptsetup --version"
>
> cryptsetup: relocation error: cryptsetup: symbol
> crypt_get_pbkdf_default version CRYPSETUP_2.0 not defined in file
> libcryptsetup.so.12 with link time reference

You have apparently old libcryptsetup.so file in the lib path.

Check with ldd over your cryptsetup binary (absolute link will appear there),
and remove it.

You should use distro packaged version though, that version should take
care about proper library update.

If you compile it yourself, either remove packaged version
before installing your own or be sure you setup the same library paths
(so the new library overwrites the old).

Milan