Re: dm-integrity and bcache

Thank you for the input.

It sounds like bcache is no longer being worked on as the dev is spending time on bcachefs instead. I considered dm-cache but it seems you can no longer use lvm snapshots with it.

I will take a look at that mailing list, thank you.

Integrity at the cost of a little performance is fine with me in this application.

Thanks,
Robby

On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 11:27 PM Milan Broz <gmazyland@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/05/2019 23:34, Robby Nelson wrote:
> I was hoping to see if anyone had any experience with or warnings
> about using mdadm raid 1 with dm-integrity as a backing device for a
> bcache device. I apologize if this is a dumb question, I don't have a
> great technical understanding of all these systems.

Hi,

in general, this combination should work (and several people try to use dm-integrity
as a backing device for MD raid), but I see some issues that dmintegrity
reveals in MD subsystem.

I am not sure about stability of bcache, this project had maintenance issues
in the past, I do not use it. There is also dm-cache (that is also somehow integrated
in LVM), that is at least maintained by the same group of people as dm-integrity :)

Anyway, I think a better list to ask is dm-devel@redhat-com, there are many people
that use similar various storage stack combinations.

I do not expect super-performance with dmintegrity it the stack (it will always slow
down operation). If you see any stability issues, please report them to the list above.

Thanks,
Milan