Questions about LUKS mode of dm-crypt

Dear Sir,

Sorrys to disturb, I am a emploee from Nagravision, my department is focused on STB security(Linux OS) design for STB manufacture, currently we are  doing some research on bringing dm-crypt/dm-verity into the system to do the block device encryption.

My question is:

  1. For security concern, we just allow developer to use LUKS(S1 S2) mode, because we think the plain mode need professional expert to configure it, and for ordinary engineer, he may wrongly configure it to a low security level, is our concern right?
  2. For what Linux kernel version is stable enough to use LUKS mode?

Best Regards, Foto

Foto Mu

Security Software Engineer

Chipset & STB Security