Re: AWS I3 Instance ephermal Volume Encryption

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 00:33:37 CEST, rajpal reddy wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>    I’m new to Luks Encryption please bear with me . I’m trying to test on
>    was ec2 i3.large machine. I’m trying to encrypt the entire
>    /dev/nvem0n1 volume.
[...]
>    I have following questions:

You have some misunderstandings here, letz see whether I can
celar them up. Also refer to the FAQ at
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

>    1) from above steps i’m i doing it correct

Looks like it. What are you doing on reboot?

>    2) since /data_e volume is encrypted means all my  directories and
>    files under /data_e are encrypted as well?

Yes. LUKS is full-disk encryption (FDE).

>    3) if i try to scp those files to my laptop wouldn’t it look for key (i
>    tired it didn’t ask for it)

No. The OS transparently decrypts everything when the LUKS container is
mapped. Only the raw data on disk is encrypted and it is only protected when
the container is not mapped.

>    4)I also tried to copy those files to different server where i don’t
>    have encryption and tried restore. it worked fine. my expectations was
>    it should ask the password it didn’t ask for it.

The passphrase is only asked on container mapping (ctyptesup luksOpen).

>    5) not sure what exactly its encrypting if it lets copy my files and
>    restore in different server without asking the key.

The raw sectors on disk.
FDE only protects against your disks/server/laptop being stolen
when the machine is off or the LUKS container not mapped.
It does not and cannot protect against your machine getting hacked
while the LUKS container is mapped (open). For that, you want to
encrypt individual files using GnuPG or the like.

>    6) for Any reason in the future if want to rollback encryption what is
>    the best practice for it.

Make backup of data. Recreate volume in plain. Restore backup.

>    7)if i lost my kms key. volume is unusable or any way to retrieve back?
>    Thanks

See FAQ Section 6.

Regards,
Arno