Re: Test suite is now FS-dependent

On 08/07/2018 05:13 PM, Guilhem Moulin wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 at 10:18:41 +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
Thanks for the report, we will fix it. Can you please send us (or
create issue) report including kernel version? (Just any cryptsetup
command with --debug on the same system is ok.)

Sure, I just filed #403.  Thanks!

Hi,

I've closed the bug since we don't consider it to be a bug in the test (or cryptsetup). It's just how btrfs (and possibly some other fs) work. So, some basic explanation I failed to deliver yesterday on the list:

When userspace pass misaligned i/o with O_DIRECT flag, btrfs silently switches to buffered i/o instead. It happens for both offset and length misalignment. Also, operation may be system page size misaligned or physical sector size misaligned wrt to underlying block device. This has some implications (i.e. write only operation become silently read-modify-write and so on...).

Discussing it with fs kernel engineer, it's unfortunately not an easy fix for btrfs and they're aware of it.

From our perspective this is (at least) grey zone and probably it would be better to fail such i/o passed from userspace. Userspace would be better notified it did something wrong, but well I guess that's a life with modern fs:)

O.