systemd & plymouth confusion when booting with multiple LUKS disks.

It might be useful to look that this thread on the Debian list:

"luks, crypttab: why 3 partition only 2 passphrases entered"

The upshot:

> On 08/04/2018 02:54 PM, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
> > And I'm now 99% sure that the culprit of all this confusion is...
> > plymouth! It has a password caching facility and systemd seems to
> > use it to get the cached password.

I've just confirmed it. In plymouth, file src/ply-boot-server.c, I've
added the ply_trace line:
                        ply_buffer_append_bytes (buffer,
                                                 password,
                                                 strlen (password) + 1);
                        ply_trace("Carles password: %s", password);

Then I can see in the Debug logs the previously entered passwords when
systemd requests them (which then systemd uses them to decypher the
partition and add the correct one in the Linux keyring, etc. etc.).