Re: cryptsetup-reencrypt fails after converting a LUKS1 volume to LUKS2

On 2 Aug 2018 11:20 +0200, from okozina@xxxxxxxxxx (Ondrej Kozina):
> Ok, I know what's wrong. The convert action works as expected and
> there's nothing wrong with data offset. The issue is
> cryptsetup-reencrypt utility currently can't handle setup where
> existing LUKS2 header, on a device you're about to reencrypt is
> different size from default LUKS2 header size which is 4MiBs
> currently. The converted header is as you wrote 2MiBs.

Sounds to me like that should be easy enough to add an early check and
specific error message for. Even if the error is just something like
"this container cannot be converted to LUKS2 because of header size
mismatch, no changes made", it's far better than erroring out with a
scary error message. cryptsetup-reencrypt is scary enough as it is.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx
  “The most dangerous thought that you can have as a creative person