Re: Can't open luks after switching distros

On 06/09/18 13:35, David Niklas wrote:
My computer broke and I am now regressed to a 32 bit p4.
The problem is that my passphrase is said to be incorrect

% uname -a
Linux P4 4.9.0-4-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u1 (2017-12-23) i686
GNU/Linux

I am running Devuan (Debian derivative), Linux and I tried the native
cryptsetup 1.7.3-4 and I also compiled and tried with 1.7.5 which is
compiled by default against libgcrypt20 1.7.6-2+deb9u2 .

I tried several different ways to write my passphrase without success. I
did type it out and then copy it via screen as soon as I noticed that I
was having trouble so that there was no chance of typing errors.
I last opened the container and partition using knoppix on this system.
Container is a backup of of the files on a home filesystem which is also
encrypted with the same passphrase. I have tried to luks open both the
container and the filesystem without success.
I have no recollection as to which gcrypt/crypsetup my 64-bit or knoppix
live dvd use(s|d).

I would try:

1. Shut down. Disconnect your backup and home drives. Install a new drive.

2. Boot OS. Set up partition, LUKS container, and file system on new drive.

3.  Shut down.  Connect your backup and home drives.

4. Boot Knoppix live CD. Open all LUKS containers. Mount backup and home file systems read-only. Mount new drive file system read-write. Copy backups and home data to new drive.

5.  Shutdown.  Disconnect backup and home drives.

6.  Boot new OS and verify new drive has backups and home data.

David