device busy on scripted close

I have a script that prepares some filesystems. It does something like this:

cryptsetup open $dev temp ...
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/temp
cryptsetup close temp

But I get an error when closing:

device-mapper: remove ioctl on temp  failed: Device or resource busy

I expect this is due to mkfs not having synced. Of course the same
commands entered on the command-line work fine because they aren't
executed as quickly.

I've tried using sync to overcome this but it doesn't seem to work
always. The thing that does work is 'sleep 1' but that's luck more than
anything.

It isn't just mkfs - I also prepare some devices using dd and that
exhibits the same problem ( using conv=fsync with dd didn't help there
either).

Is there a proper way to ensure the device mapper is not being used
before attempting to close it, or a way to force the close command to wait ?