Re: dm-crypt overhead

Hi Milan,

thanks for clarifications. Unfortunately, we are currently constrained to use only dmsetup and cannot provision the target device with cryptsetup. Thus we cannot use LUKS, only plain dm-crypt.
Hopefully it will change in the future. However, does this mean there is currently no chance of using any form of authenticated encryption in our case?

Thanks,
Lukas

On 03/01/2018 03:24 PM, Lukáš Pohanka wrote:
> I have a couple of questions regarding dm-crypt and overhead when using different encryption algorithms.
>
> Firstly, am I right that the aes-xts-plain64 algorithm has no overhead, i.e. the size occupied at the target device is exactly the same as it would be without the dm-crypt layer?
>
> Secondly, when using aes-gcm, is the authentication tag created per-sector? This means in this case there is an overhead per each sector (depending on the tag size)?
>
> Also I couldn't find how the IV is calculated in case of aes-gcm, can also -plain64 be used?
>
> Thanks in advance for clarifications.

Hi Lukas,

all default FDE modes are length-preserving, so there is no additional per-sector metadata space, so it cannot use AEAD.

With LUKS2 I introduced authenticated encryption (still experimental) where you can use some authenticated modes,
but there are many limitations for now.

For the basic info see my FOSDEM slides
https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/cryptsetup/

and release notes for cryptsetup2
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/cryptsetup/v2.0/v2.0.0-ReleaseNotes

Most of your questions should be answered there.

(There is some paper submitted regarding this, I hope I can make it public soon, or mail me privately.)

Milan