Re: How to attach a LUKS header to an encrypted container?

Hi Mikhail,

1. The offset is not protected, You can just edit it.
FAQ item 6.12 should give you an idea where the
repective number is.

The FAQ is here:
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

2. Best make a regular container, and then remove the
header by copying it out and zeroing where it was.
You can make a new header with the same master-key
for your existing container when you have shifted the
data, see FAQ item 6.10. You may have to correct
the offsets for the IVs though.

It is much easier to get a second disk and copy everything
over to the format you want. And you need backup anyways
(FAQ Item 6.1), so you can just do a backup and then
restore into a new LUKS container. (You have backup, right?)

3. Essentially yes, but there is some alignment. Best way to
be sure is to create a new LUKS container and check the values
there. Can be done iin a file, say 100M in size, as LUKS
on-disk format does not care about device size.
See FAQ Item 2.6

4. Maybe. Depends on the offset calculation for IVs.
I think they are relative to the start of the data area, but
they may be relative to the start of the header. Since LUKS
generally has a very sane design, I would expect the former,
but I do not actually know.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx