Re: mistake with luksFormat

On 12/23/17 11:23, Michael Kjörling wrote:
On 23 Dec 2017 11:49 +0100, from aka@xxxxxxxxxxx (A. Kapetanovic):
2. My HDD did repetitive noises several hours (now that has
stopped), even after a reboot.

It's hard to diagnose simply based on "repetitive noises", but unless
you took specific steps to do otherwise, anything done by the pv | dd
command should have stopped no later than when you rebooted the

I suggest checking the SMART data to see how the drive is reporting
its own health. "smartctl --attributes /dev/sdb" as root should be a
start. In the SMART attributes list, look closely at any attribute
where the "VALUE" is close to "THRESH", or where "WHEN_FAILED" says
anything other than "-".

Other than that, I concur with Arno's analysis that it was likely just
a coincidence, possibly triggered by heavy I/O but unrelated to LUKS
as such.

Many HDD manufacturers release diagnostic tools for their products. For example, Seagate "Seatools":

    https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

I prefer bootable CD images, but some manufacturers only offer Windows executables.

I suggest that you get the tool for your HDD and run it to find out if your HDD is having problems.

David