Re: LUKS header recovery attempt from apparently healthy SSD

Hi Protagonist,

this is an impressive analysis and I basically agree with
all of it.

Personally, I stropnglys suspect your option "I". This design
here is 5 years old and MLC. MLC requires the firmware to do
regular scanning, error correction and rewrites in order to
be reliable. 5 years ago the state of the firmware for that
was more "experimental" than "stable".

For example, I have one old SSD from back then (OCZ trash),
that has silent single bit-errors on average on one of 5 full
reads. If such a bit-error happens on scrubbing or
garbage-collection or regular writes to a partial internal
(very large) sector, parts of the LUKS header may get rewritten
with a permanent bit-error, even if the LUKS header itself was
not written from outside at all.

Such corruption can of course also be due to a failing SSD
controller, bad RAM in the SSD, bus-problems, etc. In
particular, single-bit errors in an MLC-design will not
result from corrupted FLASH, but from other problems.

Now, are there any recovery options?

Aassume 1 bit has been corrupted in a random place.
A key-slot is 256kB, i.e. 2Mbit. That means trying it
out (flip one bit, do an unlock attempt) would take
2 million seconds on the original PC, i.e. 23 days.
This can maybe be brought down by a factor of 5 or so
with the fastest avaliable CPU (the oteration count of
150k is pretty low), i.e. still roughly 5 days.

This may be worth giving it a try, but it requires some
serious coding with libcryptsetup and it will only
help on a single bit-error.

It may of course be a more complex error, especially
when ECC in the disk has corrected an error to the
wrong value, because the original was too corrupted.
A sane design prevents this by using a second,
independent checksum on the ECC result, but as I said,
5 years ago SSD design was pretty experimental and
beginner's mistakes were made.

The keyslot checker is no help here, it is intendend
to find gross localized corruption, for example a
new MBR being right in there in a keyslot. Chesckums
on LUKS-level were not implemented because they are
not really needed as classical HDDs are very good at
detecting read-errors. Unless you go to ZFS ot the like,
filesystems do not do this either, for the same reasons.
There is one gobal "checksum" in LUKS though, exactly
the one that now tells you that there is no matching
keyslot, and on entry of a good passphrase that means
the keyslot is corrupted.

My take is that apart from making absolutely sure
the passphrase is correct (it sounds very much like it
is though) and running the manufacturers diagnostic
tools on the SSD, there is not much more you can do.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----