Re: crypetsetup and GPT partitions

On 8 Feb 2017 12:33 +0000, from shoutchen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Houtchen, Steven):
> So my question is, is "cryptsetup" compatible with parted and
> GPT partition table? Or do  need to use something like "lvm2"
> to accomplish what I am trying to do?

LUKS doesn't care what the backing device is. You can have an
encrypted container backed by a file, or by a block device (which in
turn can be either a whole disk, a partition, or a loopback device
exposing a part of a different block device). All it cares about is
that it's big enough to hold the LUKS header, and that writes are
persisted in some manner.

As far as LUKS is concerned, the container doesn't even need to be
large enough to hold any file system.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx