Re: crypetsetup and GPT partitions

On 02/08/17 04:33, Houtchen, Steven wrote:
I am trying to use "crypsetup" setup ant "parted" together.
I want to use "cryptsetup" to encrypt a whole solid state disk,
and then use "parted" to create partitions on it with a GPT partition
table.  I have be able to do the first task, but not the second.

I've never done that.

Or vice versa. Create a few partitions, and then optionally
encrypt each one individually. I have be able to do the first
task, but not the second.

That's how I've done it.

So my question is, is "cryptsetup" compatible with parted and
GPT partition table? Or do  need to use something like "lvm2"
to accomplish what I am trying to do?

I would suggest:

1. Use the manufacturer tool to do a secure erase of the SSD (this could involve using a Microsoft Windows machine).

2.  Use parted to create a MBR partition table.

3. Use parted to create one primary partition. Consider under-provisioning.

4.  Use cryptsetup luksFormat to put a LUKS container into the partition.

5. Use cryptsetup luksOpen to open the LUKS container. Add entry to /etc/crypttab (Debian).

6. Either create a filesystem on the mapped device and add entry to /etc/fstab (Debian), or feed the mapped device to LVM (it's been a while for me; you'll have to figure that out).

I am using CentOS7 with

[root@dts1 ~]# cryptsetup --version
cryptsetup 1.6.7
[root@dts1 ~]#