Re: About CVE-2016-4484: - Cryptsetup Initrd root Shell

Obviously it is not a bug in cryptsetup, but rather in dracut and some distributions initrd scripts. What's really annoying about the CVE is the fact, that it is mostly irrelevant. If I can get to the password entry of an initrd, I obviously have control over the boot process. If I do have control over the boot process I have a splendid variety of options to do all the things described in the CVE.

I wonder why the authors of the CVE recommend to freeze the system, instead of adding auth to get a shell. Seems quite stupid to completely remove the ability to investigate problems.

-Sven