Re: pashphrase management question

Am 26.10.2016 um 23:08 schrieb ClEmFoster:
On Wed, October 26, 2016 2:39 pm, Michael Kjörling wrote:

luksChangeKey <device> [<new key file>]

Changes an existing passphrase. The passphrase to be changed
must be supplied interactively or via --key-file. The new passphrase can be
supplied interactively or in a file given as positional argument. /.../
<options> can be [--key-file, --keyfile-offset, --keyfile-size,
--new-keyfile-offset, --new-keyfile-size, --key-slot].

That should be all you need.

I did read that in the man page, but if you want a passphrase changed in
that manor then you have to put the new and old passphrase in a file plain
text.  Unless I am missing something.  I was hoping to fine some way to
encrypt it before passing it in.  like you can do with other applications.

That makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would you want to encrypt a passphrase? Or in other words, what's wrong with binary files? Or don't you want to store the files on disk? Then be reminded: STDIN and STDOUT are files, and can be connected to pipes.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@xxxxxxxxxxx
“People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know

Thanks

Travis