Re: LVM on LUKS: volumes missing

One thing is that these problems are pretty hard to debug.
Another is that LVM massively complicates things.

Now, if the LUKS container opens cleanly, anything
in it should be decrypted correctly (if it is LVM
atop of LUKS) and decryption with the wrong key is
not actually a possibility.

That also means you should be able to use LVM
recovery techniques (I assume they exist) on this.

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with LVM as I do not use
it. I consider it a badly engineered, overly complicated
thing that decreases reliablity and makes problem
diagnostics very hard.  Unfortunately, it provides some
increases in convenience and that seems to be all most people
care about, atleast until they are confronted with the hard
realities of reliable engineering, namely that KISS
is more important than any other concern. As LVM
violates that (along with the new RAID superblock
formats, udev, systemd and some other engineering
abominations that have found their way into mainstream
Linux recently) I do not tolerate LVM on any of my
systems.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx