Re: /sbin/cryptsetup: not found on boot after Grub repair - manual mounting works

Hi,

I have no idea what Ubuntu does in the initramfs, but
this sounds like your initramfs was rebuilt without
the cryptsetup binary. Just another reason why I
do not like the initramfs: Everything gets hard to debug.
I have done an LUKS-unlocking initramfs manually though
for a server-installation that boots from memory-stick.

Maybe reinstaling the package that does booting from
encrypted root on Ubuntu will fix this. Alternatively,
you may try to add it to your initramfs manually, including
all libraries it uses. That may be a bit tricky though.

As for diagnostics, there are some explanations on the web
how to unpack an initramfs. You could check whether
there is an /sbin/cryptestup in there. That is probably
the easiest first step.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx