Re: LUKS partition write-protected, mounting read-only

On 04/26/2016 03:38 PM, Serrano Pereira wrote:
Hello,

When I create a LUKS partition like so:

$ cryptsetup luksFormat /root/test

I typically put a LUKS container into a partition on a HDD, SSD, USB flash drive, etc. -- e.g. /dev/sdb1.

Is /root/test a file (?).  How did you create it?

$ cryptsetup open /root/test test

Note that 'test' is a user-space command and/or a shell built-in. It's best to avoid using that word for *anything*.

My 'man cryptsetup' doesn't show any 'open' action. Did you cut/paste the above from a console session? If not, please post exact console sessions with commands and output. Entering things by hand from memory invites Murphy's Law.

$ mkfs.ext4 -j /dev/mapper/test

Why the '-j' option (ext3 journal)?

$ mount /dev/mapper/test /mnt/files

I assume /mnt/files already existed when you ran the above command?

Then I can create files in /mnt/files just fine. But when I copy
/root/test to a different computer,

Did you unmount the file system and close the LUKS container before copying /root/test to the other machine?

and then do:

$ cryptsetup open /root/test test
Enter passphrase for /root/test:
mount: /dev/mapper/test is write-protected, mounting read-only
$ mount /dev/mapper/test /mnt/files

As you can see, the device is mounted read-only. I cannot write any
files to the LUKS partition. Why is this so? How can I write to the
partition on another computer?

As root, please run these commands on the computer with the source LUKS device (file) and post the console session:

    uname -a

    umount /mnt/test

    cryptsetup --version

    cryptsetup luksClose test

    ls -l /root/test

    cryptsetup luksDump /root/test

    cryptsetup luksOpen /root/test test

    ls -l /dev/mapper/test

    fsck /dev/mapper/test

    ls -ld /mnt/files

    mount /dev/mapper/test /mnt/files

    mount | grep '/mnt/files'

    ls -ld /mnt/files

    echo 'hello, world!' > /mnt/files/hello.txt

Then repeat for the computer with the copy.

We're looking for error messages.

If you don't understand the above commands, RTFM each one. If a command is broken, fix it.

Hopefully, that will provide enough clues to figure out what's going on.

David