Re: Size of LUKS header and how to overwrite

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 20:13:15 CET, Subscriptions wrote:
> Thank you very much, Argo, for clearing up these questions for me.
>
> When I said "bit" I was referring to the previously-mentioned bit of
> text that I was talking about. It was an ambiguous word to have used on
> my part. No confusion between a bit and a byte.
>
> And yes, I was getting confused between a byte and 512-byte sector. I
> spent some time with dd and its bs, skip, and count options on my
> device to fully understand where the 0 bytes stop and where the
> encrypted data begins.
>
> I took a backup of the data that I overwrote and then ran:
>
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=8

That will have killed the header, not the key-slots. As the
header contains an unguessable salt, this is already pretty
secure.

To also kill the keyslots, run something like

   dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=4096

if you have "Payload offset:       4096". Or run

  dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=4095

just to be careful. This not really any less secure.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----